Is October really almost over??? I am so shocked! These last few months have really flown by. It will already be Halloween in less then a week!
These sandwich cookies are perfect for Halloween entertaining because you can cut the dough into ANY shape and sprinkle black and orange sprinkles on top of the cookies before baking. I kept them simple this time since Halloween is still a few days away…
I have recently discovered how much I enjoy rolling out doughs and cutting fun shapes out of them. It looks as though it would be time consuming but once you have a system it is actually quite simple. The results are usually quite elegant as well!
They ended up being VERY similar to what an Oreo cookie tastes like, except homemade!
I hope your weeks have all been well! I look forward to seeing all this years Halloween baking creations! So much fun! 🙂 Have a great one,
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Cookie Recipe book ‘Chocolate Sandwiches’
What you need,
1 3/4 cup flour (+more for dusting when rolling out dough)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Dutch process)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup melted and cooled white chocolate
2 tbsp. whipping cream
2-3 cups icing sugar
How to prepare,
1. In a bowl mix all of your dry ingredients. (flour, cocoa, baking powder)
2. In a separate bowl cream your butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla.
3. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until blended. It is a pretty firm dough so use your muscles 🙂
4. Form the dough into a small disk and wrap in plastic wrap and let chill in fridge for 1-2 hours.
5. Turn on oven to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
6. Sprinkle some flour on your work area and roll out dough to a 3mm thickness. Use a cookie cutter and cut out desired shapes. The recipe made about 48 cookies or 24 sandwiches. Place cookie on parchment lined cookie tray and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool and fill with white chocolate filling.
1. Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add melted and cooled white chocolate and beat until combined. Add about 1 cup of the icing sugar and mix until combined and add the 2 tbsp. of whipping cream. Continue to add the icing sugar until you have a desired consistency/taste.
2. Fill cooled cookies with about 1 tbsp. of filling.